Monday, September 29, 2008

The Delta

In officially catching this blog up to the present day, I'm now writing the last of my retroactive posts. Last weekend, my first here, Martin invited me to go fishing in Tigre, a town about thirty minutes outside the Capital City. I figured it would be a fun Saturday afternoon, and every day was still a complete adventure, so saying no was out of the question.

Martin picked me up from the hostel and we drove the hour or so out of town. We had the option of just fishing in the afternoon or spending the night at his grandfather's cabin and fishing in the morning, which was supposedly better. Not being sure what the right answer was, and not wanting to miss out on the "better" fishing, I opted for the overnight. We stopped at the supermarket to load up on 24 hours of groceries, and drove to the marina. I knew he had a boat, and I knew he had a cabin, so I didn't quite understand why we needed to bring all of the groceries onto the boat if we weren't even going fishing until the next morning.

It was partly my fault for not asking for clarification earlier, but apparently where we were going, and where his grandfather's cabin is located, is in a region known as the Delta. It's a network of estuaries that all feed the Rio del Plata, the main waterway next to Buenos Aires. The delta has about 10,000km of rivers, each defining narrow islands that are populated with tons of vacation homes.

It took us about twenty minutes in the boat to get from the marina to the cabin, but it felt extremely isolated. There were small conveniences, cell reception for one, but it was really a tranquil hideaway that can be reached fairly easily from the hustle and bustle of the city.

We cooked our frozen pizza and played some cards, eventually falling asleep on the early side so we could wake up at 8 and catch the fish while the catching was good. With the help of neighbor and year-round caretaker Carlos, we caught four little ones, and I wish I could remember what they were called. Carlos freid 'em up for us, and they made for a delicious lunch.

No comments: