Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jumping off of Cliffs

I went paragliding. Although I originally thought that paragliding was flying suspended beneath a rather large kite (which is actually called hang-gliding), it is flying under a specially designed airfoil-like parachute and using thermals to stay aloft for as long as you'd like.

Alejandro, my pilot, and I stayed aloft almost 25 minutes on an absolutely stunning day in Mendoza, Argentina, and managed to see a 12-foot condor at close range before the condor realized we were much bigger than it and swooped away. I managed to capture a picture of the bird headed away, but no faces. Before landing, Alejandro offered to do some acrobatic maneuvers just for fun (I guess I had been a well-behaved passenger). We did a spiral descent and I managed to capture it all on video. Enjoy!

No comments: