Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The inevitable passage of time

I’ll admit: the last few weeks have been a little slow. On account of some conversations with friends, and my own lack of initiative, I ultimately decided (as should now be obvious) not to do anything particularly legitimate here in Buenos Aires. Flexibility was really the higher priority, and as a result I’ve been able to travel a lot.

Since coming back from Salta, there have been a few highlights, but don’t let them fool you—a lot of days I just hung around my apartment reading stupid blogs and only leaving to buy food.

Last Saturday was Gay Pride in Buenos Aires and we watched the parade. It was a big party, although compared to the only other one I’ve ever seen (San Francisco, where the thing was invented), it wasn’t huge. Not too shabby for Catholic Latin America though, that’s for sure. In fact, Argentina has legalized civil unions, a step that only a very few states in the US have taken.

The elections here were awesome, and we watched the returns with about a thousand Americans packed into a local bar. Since then a lot of non-Americans have been talking about Obama here, and even my cab drivers are excited by the change coming to the US. There are articles in the local paper almost every day about the impending transition of power.

Last Wednesday I went to a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones concert, which was awesome. Bela Fleck is an American banjo player who, along with his band of bass, winds and drum players, jams really hard. The concert was a ton of fun and in a really nice 2000-seat theater right in the center of town. What struck me more than anything was how polite everyone was. First of all, everyone remained seated throughout the two-hour concert. In the states, people always stand, and sitting just felt rude, like we weren’t living up to our end of the bargain. Then sometimes people would start clapping with the beat only to have others shush them. If it wasn’t for the thunderous applause and ensuing standing ovation, you might have mistaken the audience for viewers of a ballet.

Now with about three weeks left before heading back to the states, I’m going on three 6-day trips to make the most of my time. It seems as though I’ll only be coming back to Buenos Aires on Wednesdays for a quick recharge and maybe a laundry run.
  • Bariloche: Instead of going to the nearby cities of Rosario and Cordoba like I had planned, I’m instead going to head down to Bariloche for a long weekend, leaving tomorrow or Thursday taking an 18-hour bus each way. A few months ago that might have turned me off, but I’d like to think I’m a pro now. Bariloche is, as I understand, the Colorado of Argentina, with great skiing in the winter and outdoor adventure sports in the summer. Since it’s summer, I’m hoping to do some fun rafting or hiking. I’ll get back next Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • Uruguay: Next Thursday I’m off to Uruguay, stopping in Colonia (a cute historic town where the ferry from Buenos Aires lands) and Montevideo (the capital, but otherwise boring) before spending the long weekend in Punta del Este. PDE is the summer vacation location of choice for people from Buenos Aires, and we’ll be enjoying the beach as well as driving around the coastline in a rental car.
  • The End of the World: Just before heading back to the states, Jess, Sage and I are going on a trip to El Calafate and Ushuaia. El Calafate is in the Southern Andes, and home to one of the most impressive glaciers in the world. Ushuaia, on the island of Tierra del Fuego (Land of Fire) is the southernmost city in the entire world. Go figure.
In between Uruguay and Tierra del Fuego, we’ll be enjoying a Thanksgiving dinner in exile with all of our local expat friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, world-wide pride! I'm going to go to pride in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv this year. I think they're a few weeks apart. I hear that soldiers form a barricade and block all the stones being thrown at you. I guess a riot is one way to be recognized.