Monday, October 13, 2008

Small Annoyances

Three things that piss me off about Buenos Aires:
  1. The Moneda Crisis. Buses in this city are unbelievable in their arcaneness, with their random routes and reckless driving, so much so that I think I'm going to devote an entire post to them later. The one thing though, that really is annoying, is that they only take coins. No MetroCard, no bills, no free transfer from the subway or other buses, just coins. This has led to a national dearth of coins, as everyone takes the bus all the time. Anywhere you go, there are signs like "no hay monedas" ("we don't give change") or "abonar con monedas" ("pay with coins"). The one peso coin, in particular, is like the holy grail.
  2. Dog Shit. It is really everywhere...please watch your step.
  3. Fire Hazards. For security reasons, everyone likes to bolt their doors when they're inside. That's okay, and probably a good idea, except the bolts need to be unlocked with a key even from the inside. So to get out of my apartment, to, say, grab delivered Chinese food, or maybe, escape from an inferno, I need to fumble with my keys, turn twice in my apartment's door, and then go to the building entrance, fumble again in the dark trying to find the narrow keyhole and successfully insert the key, and turn twice again before reaching the street.

No comments: